ABINGTON PUBLIC SCHOOLS 1 TO 1 TECHNOLOGY INITIATIVE - PARENT INFORMATION
Abington Public Schools is able to provide student issued laptops as part of the new building project and the 1 to 1 technology initiative. Many parent questions and concerns can be answered in the Laptop Care and Use Policy Guide in the Student Handbook.
If a student has an issue with a blocked site, password reset, something that is related to the student account and not a physical device, etc., email the Help Desk at email@example.com.
Below are some frequent questions:
1. Can the school district video or view my child using the laptop webcam? Absolutely not; the district has no hardware or software to control the laptop webcam.
2. Is the Internet on the laptops filtered? Yes, per the Children’s Internet Protection Act (CIPA), schools are required to filter internet access for their students, even if off campus.
3. Will I be responsible for damage to the device? Accidents happen and APS understands that. Any damaged devices should be brought to the Library Media Center and a “loaner” will be provided. APS IT will examine the device and provide repair services. Any damage deemed malicious by APS IT may result in the district pursuing financial compensation.
4. Can my child bring their own laptop to use at school? No, the district is not able to provide school network folders or software to outside devices. Also, the district cannot ensure that an outside device is not infected with malware or a virus, while we have methods to be alerted if a school issued device encounters an issue.
5. How much do laptops cost? The laptops are $400, chargers $25, bag/case $25.
6. How long will the battery last? Lenovo lists the student 11e model with “up to 12 hours of battery life”. A fully charged device should last for an entire school day with normal use. Students will be allowed to charge their devices during the school day.
7. Can the devices be location tracked? Yes, the district has installed software to track laptop location to be used in the event of a lost device only.